Spring Risotto with Ramps, Asparagus and PeasPosted by in Food
I love to pounce on new produce when it appears in the store in the spring. This week my store had ramps. Ramps grow wild and are like a cross between green onions and chives. I always get so excited to bring home something new but then I have to figure out what to make with it! I decided to make a veggie risotto to showcase spring vegetable. It was delicious. The ramps give it a mild garlicky flavor, but with very green overtones. The veggie broth turns the pasta a pretty dark yellow.
Spring Risotto with Ramps, Asparagus and Peas
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup risotto
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 box vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch ramps, roughly chopped
- ½ bunch asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- ½ peas (frozen)
- Parmesan cheese to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat and add the onion and risotto. Stir until the risotto is coated in oil and is hot.
- Stir in the wine and wait for it abosrb. Then begin gradually adding the vegetable broth, half a cup at a time, stirring off and on, adding more when the last amount is absorbed. Use only as much broth as you need (possibly only ¾ of the box) to make the rice just tender.
- Once the risotto is tender, stir in the ramps and asparagus, cooking until the asparagus is tender. Stir in the peas and then add cheese to your taste.
You can follow any comment to this entry through the RSS 2.0 Both comments and pings are currently closed.
I was looking for an idea for dinner and this looks really delicious. Will look for ramps at the farmers market. Thanks for the recipe.
sounds delicious, and easy to make. always appreciate it when you have vegetarian friendly recipes.
My stomach is growling…and I must have this!
I have never heard of a ramp (until now)! This sounds great. Thanks, Brette.
Love this recipe – and have never heard of ramps! Neat.
I have ramps and asparagus in need of a recipe. Do you think I could use orzo instead of risotto?