Easy Squash CasserolePosted by in Food
I haven’t been posting as much as I’d like, but I am expecting to get back on track next week once school starts and my days are my own. I have so many posts in my head from our trip that I will get to. I also have to admit I’ve been feeling really uninterested in cooking. Usually I come home from a trip excited to be in my own kitchen again, able to make exactly what I want. This time I just came home tired. I’ve been making really simple dinners lately, mostly because I can’t get to the kitchen before 5 or 5:30. The only thing saving me at this point is the CSA produce. It’s an automatic infusion each week of veggies that I then try to use up.
Last night I made this simple squash casserole from this week’s CSA produce. It’s a recipe I learned from my mom. It’s incredibly easy to pull together.
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow squash thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini thinly sliced
- 1½ large tomato thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- ½ teaspoon Italian herbs (dried but you can absolutely chop up some fresh)
- beef broth
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray an 8x8 glass baking dish. Layer in half the onion, squashes and tomato. Season with salt and pepper and half the herbs. Layer the rest on top, add more salt and pepper and the rest of the herbs. Pour in enough beef broth to come halfway up the dish. Sprinkle the cheese on top and cover with foil. Bake for an hour and a half, until the squash is tender. Drain off as much of the beef broth as you can. Serve.
- Note: You can use vegetable or chicken broth if you prefer, but I like the flavor the beef broth gives.
You can follow any comment to this entry through the RSS 2.0 Both comments and pings are currently closed.
This is just what I need for dinner tonight. Will pick up some squash at the farmers market.
Typo made me smile: One small “online” thinly sliced.
LOL! Fixed it – thanks! Not sure how you slice an online!
This is perfect for a busy night!
I printed this one. I have another recipe a little similar…as I recall some type of bread crumb or fried/dried onion was added for extra crunch. This one looks good.
This looks both easy and delicious. The cheese will entice my older son, that’s for sure.
I might have to bump up the onion and forgo the tomato — not big tomato fans here. or is there another veg you’d suggest?
sounds tasty and easyto prepare, thanks.
Looks easy and delicious. And good timing because we have a bunch of squash and tomatoes in the garden.
I usually make this a couple of times in Aug/Sept to try to use some of it up
Perfect timing. I’m drowning in produce from my garden.
This looks amazing. Since going on our plant based diet, I’m always on the lookout for new recipes that will keep our taste buds interested and our bellies satisfied.
Looks yummy. Squash is so versatile. I’ll have to try this, especially because it’s something quick.