Easy Cream of Broccoli SoupPosted by in Food
This is one of my go-to recipes because it’s fast, I always have the ingredients on hand and my teenage son loves it. I’m making a lot of soup lately. My mother-in-law fell and broke her arm and is in a rehab facility. My father-in-law loves soup so I’m making 2-3 pots a week so he has something to eat. This recipe is adapted from the one in Martha’s Cooking School book by Martha Stewart.
Easy Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup flour (I used gluten-free)
- 64 ounces chicken stock (two cardboard containers: I like low-sodium organic
- 5 big broccoli crowns cut into smaller pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- pinch of dry mustard
- pinch of nutmeg
- Cook the onion in the butter over medium high heat until it is softened in a large pot. Stir in the flour and cook for about a minute.
- Whisk in the chicken broth. Bring to a boil and add the broccoli. Cover and cook until tender.
- Add salt and pepper. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until it is smooth.
- Stir in the cheeses, cream, dry mustard, and nutmeg until cheese is melted.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning (I find it always needs more salt than I originally think. If you don't add enough, this tastes very bland. It needs at least 1½ teaspoons).
You can follow any comment to this entry through the RSS 2.0 Both comments and pings are currently closed.
This looks awesome. It’s a soup kind of day here, rainy and cool. Fall has arrived!
Fall is definitely soup weather!
I’m starting to think about soup now that the weather is getting cooler. I love soup…but hate the weather that is on its way!
This looks delicious!
This sounds lovely. Love broccoli soup.