The Last Person On EarthPosted by in Food
I may be the very last person on earth to try watermelon and feta cheese together. Finally I made it happen and joined the rest of the human race. I photocopied this recipe from a magazine – possibly from Cooking Light. It was very easy to make and I really like the combination of flavors. I made half of the recipe and it was enough for 4 people for dinner. I used fat-free feta instead of reduced fat. This salad doesn’t last more than a day because all the juices run out of the watermelon.
- 6 cups watermelon cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped watercress
- ¾ cup thinly sliced Vidalia onion
- 1 medium English cucumber, sliced (about 3 cups)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 2 ounces reduced fat feta cheese, crumbled (about ½ cup)
- Mint sprigs (optional)
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine the mint and the next 3 ingredients (through the oil) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add the juice mixture and salt to the watermelon mixture. Toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with feta, garnish with mint if desired.
You can follow any comment to this entry through the RSS 2.0 Both comments and pings are currently closed.
Yay! So pleased you tried it, it really is a great combination – I like the idea of adding cucumber to the salad.
It’s a great summer dish. Very refreshing.
Nope, you’re not the last person, and unless I make a very small salad just for one, I’ll continue to be uneducated. My husband refuses to eat watermelon. Had too many back on the farm in Ohio during his youth!