Garlic Scape Pesto PastaPosted by in Leftovers
This recipe is result of trying to deal with my CSA bounty and trying to deal with my leftovers! I had a leftover grilled chicken breast and leftover broccoli. Here’s the result.
Garlic Scape Pasta
- For the pesto:
- 16 garlic scapes
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 ounces pine nuts
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 4 basil leaves
- one branch of parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the pasta:
- 18 ounces fresh fettucine (mine was gluten free)
- 6 baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cooked chicken breast, diced into ½ inch chunks (you can also use a raw breast)
- ½ cup cooked broccoli, chopped
- ¼ heavy cream
- ¼ cup skim milk
- Parmesan cheese for serving
- Place the scapes, oil, pine nuts, basil, parsley, Parmesan, and salt and pepper in the food processor and process until completely blended into a sauce.
- Boil the pasta according to package instructions then drain when it is done.
- While the pasta cooks, cook the mushrooms in a skillet with a little oil. If you are using raw chicken, cook that with it until cooked through.
- Add ½ cup of the pesto mixture, milk, and cream to mushroom mixture and stir over medium heat for a minute or two, so the scapes cook enough to lose their bitterness. Stir in the broccoli.
- Toss the sauce with the pasta and serve with additional cheese.
- Freeze the rest of the pesto to use another time.
You can follow any comment to this entry through the RSS 2.0 Both comments and pings are currently closed.
Now you’ve given me a challenge of how I can make this vegan. 🙂
Vegan cheese substitute and vegetable broth instead of the cream maybe?
This may be a recipe for leftovers but it sounds delicious.