Beef Stroganoff from Leftovers
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tbsp olive oil
6-8 ounces sliced white or baby bella mushrooms
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp flour
2 1/2 cups beef broth
10 ounces thinly sliced beef (I had leftover sirloin roast this time, but I have used strip steak, filet, and other cuts of meat: the key is to slice this as thinly as possible and cut off all fat and gristle)
1/4 cup light sour cream
pinch of nutmeg
Use a deep skillet for this recipe. Saute the onion in the olive oil over medium high heat until it softens and begins to brown. Add mushrooms and cook until they begin to soften, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in 2 tbsp flour (I used gluten free flour and added 1 tsp cornstarch) and cook for one minute. Add beef broth and stir until combined. Cook for a few minutes, until it begins to thicken. Stir in the beef. Cook until heated through. Taste it for seasoning and add more salt and pepper as needed. Turn off the heat and stir in the sour cream. Serve over cooked egg noodles (a 16 oz bag is right for this recipe). Note that I used fusilli this time because gluten free egg noodles do not seem to exist. This serves 4.
You can adjust this recipe a couple of ways:
– If you have leftover chicken, use that instead of beef and use chicken broth instead of beef broth.
– If you don’t have 10 ounces of beef, add in more mushrooms to compensate.
– If you don’t have sour cream (or don’t want to use it), stir in plain yogurt instead.
– If you have leftover cooked mushrooms, by all means, use those instead and just skip the step of cooking the mushrooms down.
– If this recipe creates leftovers, and you don’t want to reheat it (I find the beef gets a bit tough when reheated in the microwave), you can just freeze it. The next time you make beef stew, dump it in. You can also puree the leftovers and add to beef stew that way.
The only time I make beef Stroganoff is when I have leftover beef. It’s actually one of my husband’s favorite dishes. This version is so simple, easy, and quick, you won’t believe it! Beef Stroganoff from Leftovers 1/4 cup chopped onion 2 tbsp olive oil 6-8 ounces sliced white or baby bella mushrooms salt and … Read more