5 Things to Buy to Organize Your Pantry/CupboardPosted by in Organizing
Getting your pantry/food storage organized can be a challenge. Sometimes it’s just a matter of purging and moving things around. But honestly, for most of us, it’s about making better use of the space. And that means you need to invest in a couple of inexpensive products to make it easier to see and store things. Here are my favorites:
- Under-shelf racks. These essentially add another shelf and it’s much better than stacking things, trying to balance them and having them tumble all over the place.
- Wall or door-mounted shelves. These allow you to use space you didn’t even know you have. Use spice rack size for small items and wider shelves if you want to store canned goods.
- An elevator. A graduated stepped shelf that you set on an existing shelf allows you to finally see what’s behind everything! You’ll no longer buy duplicates of black beans and tomato paste because you’ll finally be able to see what you own.
- Plastic shoeboxes. I love these to store bulk bags of spices I buy from Penzey’s, to keep all the individual size canned fruit packages from rolling around, and for tea and drink mixes. I also use one for my collection of sea salts. They’re easy to take in and out and keep all those little things organized.
- Square glass storage jars. These are my pick for storing baking goods, cereal, pasta, and other products. Because they’re square, they stack and fit together. Glass contains no harmful chemicals and they are see through, so you know exactly how much you have left.
The glass jars are the most expensive items on the list. You can get everything else for $50 or less. I suggest gradually replacing your plastic with glass over time. You can find many of these are discount stores like Walmart or Target. Amazon is a great online source. The Container Store also have a lot, but their prices tend to be a bit higher.
You can follow any comment to this entry through the RSS 2.0 Both comments and pings are currently closed.
This is very solid information that I can use. I didn’t know about an elevator or square jars. Both are good ideas for me.
Thank you for sharing.
I get it now! Remember when I wrote about the agony of being a legal indexer and it perplexed you since you love that kind of work? Well, it fits in perfectly that you’re an expert on organization and my life is usually a step above chaos. Natural indexers are organized people. I am neither.
I use the bags my sheets come in to store spices I’m not using.
Love that! I save those zipper bags too. I keep old blankets and flannel sheets in mine.
When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the exact same comment. Is there any way it is easy to take away me from that service? Thanks!
I have my web guy working on this – I’m getting duplicate notifications also from the site. I don’t know what’s wrong, but we are getting it fixed!