Tomato PiePosted by in Food
What to do with all those tomatoes? I make tomato pie a few times each year during tomato season and it’s always a satisfying dinner. This is also good the next day. Sometimes I will take it out of the fridge the next afternoon and just eat it at room temp after it warms up. It’s also easy to reheat in the microwave.
- 1½ cups seasoned breadcrumbs (I used gluten-free)
- 4 large tomatoes, sliced thinly
- 1 small onion, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh basil leaves (10-20 depending on your tastes)
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray a square 8x8 glass baking dish and sprinkle half the breadcrumbs on the bottom. Layer half the tomatoes onto this. Sprinkle half the onion and half the basil leaves (ripping them as you do so). Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with half the cheese.
- Repeat layering tomatoes, onion, basil, salt and pepper, and cheese.
- Pour the eggs over the dish. Top with remaining breadcrumbs. Spray the top with cooking spray.
- Bake for 50 minutes, until the top is brown and the eggs are cooked. Allow to rest at least 10 minutes before serving.
You can follow any comment to this entry through the RSS 2.0 Both comments and pings are currently closed.